Error
  • JUser::_load: Unable to load user with id: 79
January 21, 2010

MÁV orders 25 electric locomotives from Bombardier

Written by 
  • Print
  • Email
HUNGARIAN State Railways (MÁV) subsidiary MÁV Traction has signed a Euros 80 million contract with Bombardier for 25 Traxx P160 ac electric locomotives, with an option for a further 25 locomotives.


The Bo-Bo locomotives will be assembled at Bombardier's site in Kassel, Germany, with bodyshells supplied from Wroclaw, Poland. Bogies will be produced in Siegen, Germany using frames manufactured at Bombardier's Mátranovák facility in Hungary, while traction and electrical equipment will be produced at Henningsdorf and Mannheim.
 
Deliveries will begin in the second quarter of next year and the final locomotive will arrive in 2013. The 160km/h locomotives will be used on passenger services within Hungary, and on international workings to Austria and Germany.

The locomotives are being financed through a €79.6 million loan agreement between MÁV Traction, the European Investment Bank (EIB), and KfW Ipex, Germany, which was signed last month. EIB is providing 52% of the capital and KfW Ipex the remaining 48%.
 
mav-traxx.jpg

Get the latest rail news

IRJ Rail Brief newsletter covers global railway news