The BC investments are part of CN’s 2019 record $C 3.9bn capital investment focused on enabling growth from all commodity segments, including consumer goods, grain, agricultural, forest, and energy products. Over 2018-19, CN will have made a $C 7.4bn capital investment.
Planned expansion projects to improve traffic flows in the Port of Prince Rupert and Port of Vancouver areas include:
- construction of a new passing loop in Port Edward
- construction of 4km of double track west of Prince George, and
- multi-year initiatives to increase capacity at the Port of Vancouver in collaboration with the government of Canada and the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.
Maintenance programme highlights include:
- replacement of 185km of rail
- installation of more than 210,000 new sleepers
- resurfacing 38 level crossings, and
- maintenance work on culverts, signal systems and additional track infrastructure.
“Following a record capital programme in 2018, CN has been able to take on more traffic from different commodity sectors based on contracts with our customers,” says vice-president of CN’s western region, Mr Doug Ryhorchuk. “This year, CN is planning to invest even more than last year to continue boosting capacity and network resiliency and to meet growing traffic on our corridors across BC.”