Lot 1, which runs from December 2024 to December 2039, covers the operation of 4.6 million train-km annually using a new fleet of battery electric multiple units (BEMUs) on multiple routes. A phased introduction of the BEMUs is foreseen to maximise use of existing electrified lines and to allow for new electrification projects (although none are currently underway) as follows;
- RE 6/RB 51 Kaiserslautern - Neustadt/Weinstrasse - Landau - Karlsruhe.
- RB 68 Saarbrücken - Zweibrücken - Pirmasens.
- RE 64/RB 64 Kaiserslautern - Steinalben - Pirmasens
- RB 66 Kaiserslautern - Olsbrücken - Lauterecken-Grumbach
- RB 67 Kaiserslautern - Landstuhl - Glan-Münchweiler - Kusel
- RB 54 Bad Bergzabern - Winden - Karlsruhe
- RE 55/RB 55 Landau - Annweiler - Hinterweidenthal - Pirmasens, and
- RB 77 Saarbrücken - Dillingen - Niedaltdorf.
These services are currently operated by DB Regio using a variety of DMUs.
Lot 2 covers 1.3 million train-km annually and will run from December 2023 to June 2037, primarily on the largely non-electrified route between Mainz/Bingen and Kaiserslautern, currently operated by both DB Regio and Vlexx:
- RE 15/RB 33 Mainz - Bad Kreuznach - Kaiserslautern, and
- RB 65 /RE 17 Bingen - Bad Kreuznach - Kaiserslautern
Lot 2 also contains some evening and summer holiday services on several other routes. Bidders for Lot 2 can offer either new or used trains, with the contract awarded solely on a cost basis.