The province of Upper Austria will contribute 80% of funding with the remaining 20% provided by the city of Gmunden, other local authorities in the area, and operator Stern and Hafferl.

The project will be implemented in three stages. In 2014 the branch line from Vorchdorf will be extended to Klosterplatz. The following year the tram line will be extended to Rathausplatz with the link due to be completed in 2017.

Stern and Hafferl will shortly launch a tender for new low-floor LRVs. This follows tests on the Gmunden tramway with low-floor LRVs from Innsbruck which are currently being used on the Vorchdorf - Gmunden line.