CROATIAN infrastructure manager HŽ Infrastructure (HŽI) has awarded Strabag a Kuna 1.7bn ($US 250m) contract to carry out upgrades and track doubling works on the 44km Hrvatski Leskovac - Karlovac section of the 229km Zagreb - Rijeka line.  

The route is part of the TEN-T Mediterranean Corridor. The European Union is covering 85% of the Kuna 3.45bn cost of the Hrvatski Leskovac - Karlovac upgrade via the 2014-2020 Cohesion Fund. The Croatian government is covering the remaining 15%.  

The project includes the modernisation of Hrvatski Leskovac, Jastrebarsko and Karlovac stations, the installation of ETCS Level 1, reconstruction of substations at Mrzlo Polje and Zdenčina, the construction of three underpasses and four overpasses to replace level crossings, and the extension of loops at stations to accommodate 750m-long freight trains.

The maximum line speed will be raised to 160 km/h, except around ​​Mavračić, Jastrebarsko and Karlovac, where trains will be limited to 120–140 km/h due to spatial constraints.

For detailed data on rail projects from around the world, subscribe to IRJ Pro.