The stakeholders now plan to seek a contribution towards the €160m project from the German government, which could provide up to 60% of the required funding through the Federal-Municipal Transport Financing Programme (BGVFG). The remaining 40% will be divided equally between the Swiss and German participants, and federal funding will be sought from the Swiss federal government.

Electrification of the adjoining 19km section between Erzingen and Schaffhausen was completed in 2013. The two projects will enable the integration of the Upper Rhine Line into the Basle S-Bahn network, as well as the introduction of regular-interval regional express services between Singen and Basle.