The project is being funded by the Scottish government and will enable the introduction of half-hourly commuter services between Aberdeen and Inverurie.
- The first phase of the project is due to be completed in 2019 and includes:
- Track-doubling on the 26km Aberdeen - Inverurie section
- A new station and track realignment at Forres
- Platform extensions at Insch and Elgin
- Signalling upgrades, and
- Infrastructure alterations for future new stations at Dalcross and Kintore.
Ground investigation, site survey, and vegetation clearance works are already underway and main construction works will begin in the second quarter of next year.