The main goals of the agreement are:
• optimise high-speed, regional and inter-city service speed and stops in order to improve connections at Campania's rail hubs in Naples, Caserta, Salerno, Avellino, and Benevento
• develop the connection between RFI's infrastructure and the regional infrastructure network managed by Ente Autonomo Volturno (EAV), and
• design an integrated plan of transport between railway and other transport services.
Some detailed improvements have already been outlined, including increasing line speeds and service frequency on Line 2 of the Naples metro network, and synchronising services between Naples Central and Caserta through Aversa and Cancello. In addition there are plans to enhance connections at Caserta with services to and from Rome, and Naples - Salerno and Naples - Villa Literno – Formia services, and regional traffic from Naples to and from southern Italy.
There are also plans to:
• improve connections in Naples and Salerno with medium and long-distance trains
• integrate regional and high-speed trains using the Salerno - Arechi line with Avellino and Benevento, and
• improve Salerno station to offer better connections with Naples - Salerno, and conventional services to Cilento and Paola-Reggio Calabria.
This framework agreement envisages operation of 10.2 million km/train per year.