The programme includes:
- 30 new Wayside Equipment System units to detect hot bearings, hot wheels and dragging equipment
- a new track geometry test car
- an optical track inspection system
- more than 30 new brittle bar detectors, which identify and flag derailed vehicles to traincrews, and
- controlled signalling on certain key passing loops on busy lines to alert traincrews and dispatchers to broken rail incidents.
CN says it has increased its wayside detection capability by 30% over the last five years, and the frequency of ultrasonic rail flaw inspections has been stepped up by 70% since 2008.