The project is co-financed by CEF Blending, which combines funding from the European Unions’ Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) and a loan by the European Investment Bank (EIB). The CEF funding accounts for 20% of the total, while the EIB loan makes up 30%, and 50% will come from the Czech government.

The work will be carried out by Dětmarovice, a consortium of Strabag Rail and OHL ŽS, and involves reconstructing 10.8km of double-track electrified track together with renovation of a single-track section between Závada and Koukolná to allow trains to run directly from Poland to Karviná.

In addition, six level crossings and the stations at Dětmarovice, Závada and Petrovice u Karviné will be reconstructed, and the track layout at Petrovice u Karviné will be altered to increase the line speed.

Reconstruction of the overhead catenary and construction of a new sub-station will prepare the line for the envisaged switch from 3kV dc to 25kV 50Hz ac.