Sweg, which is owned by the state government, has been awarded extensions until December 2025 for three contracts:
- Zollernalb Railway I (Tübingen - Hechingen - Balingen - Sigmaringen)
- Zollernalb Railway II (Hechingen - Gammertingen - Sigmaringen), and
- the Ortenau S-Bahn system around Offenburg.
New Lint 54 Alstom DMUs will be used for Zollernalb Railway services, partly replacing Regioshuttle trains from December 2020. 20 two-car Mireo BEMUs are on order from Siemens for Ortenau S-Bahn services from December 2023.
DB Regio retains three contracts, with modifications from December 2021 until December 2027 following completion of the Ulm - Friedrichshafen - Lindau Southern Railway electrification project:
- Network 2: Stuttgart - Ulm - Lake Constance, to be operated using class 146.2 Traxx locomotives from Stuttgart to Lindau, replacing DB diesel locomotives south of Ulm
- Network 16a: Aulendorfer Kreuz, using class 425 EMUs where possible to replace DMUs currently operating RB services
- Network 16b: Lake Constance Belt Railway, introducing class 245 Traxx ME diesel locomotives transferred from the Southern Railway, hauling three-car Dosto push-pull sets, to replace class 612 DMUs.
These contracts may be terminated early after December 2025 following the opening of Stuttgart’s through main station, which will allow new ETCS and ATO-equipped EMUs capable of running on the new Stuttgart main station/Wendlingen - Ulm line to replace the older electric trains.